Saturday 23 July 2011

Confessions of a Bibliophilia

Welcome to my little Niche within the library. So grab a coffee and let's review some books.



        The Word Bibliophile means 'lover of books'.  Where did the word bibliophile come from? The word is derived from the Greek word 'Biblio' meaning 'Book' and the suffix 'Philio' meaning 'lover'.  It was first mentioned in 1824. The British Prime minister, William Edwart Gladstone was a notorious bibliophile. The term was mentioned as early as the fourteenth Century to discribe someone who loves books.

           I am a bibliophile.  In my library I recently own 200 books....and I am afraid my library is still growing.   There's something about a book that delights the senses....the texture, the look, the feel...the smell of the printed word! It's an indescribable feeling! I have been reading since I was eight and each time I hold a book in my hand this wonderfully, indescribable sense of euphoria overwhelms me....as if I am rediscovering the joys of reading all over again. No, this madness hasn't altered my sense of well-being.  I am simply a bibliophile...not a bibliomanic..there is a difference, you know.  The latter is an ecentric who is MAD about books and this madness takes over his or her life completely.  This rare creature collects books just for the thrill and sake of collecting them.  His mania takes over his or her persona and transforms him/her into a sort of Jekyll and Hide phantom who stops at nothing to collect books....just for the thrill of it and to feed his mania. The Bibliomanic does not discriminate which book he buys....he merely fills his trolley full of any particular book to feed his frenzy. He/she often neglects his/her health for the sake of collecting books and pouring over them like an alcoholic or addict.  The bibliophile, on the other hand,  is merely a person who loves and collects books (which he/she chooses to collect)....and reads them!   I am currently reading:

Meet me at the Cupcake Cafe 
by Jenny Colgan
Sphere Copyright 2011
ISBN:  9780751544497
496 Pages

Payback's a Witch
by Rachel Astor
Kindle Edition

My True Essence
by Shawneda Marks
SC Creations
ISBN: 978-0615489353


A Visit from the Goon Squad
by Jennifer Egan
Knoff Copyright 2010
ISBN: 9780307592835
336 Pages



Something Borrowed
by Emily Griffin
Saint Martin's Griffin Copyright 2005
ISBN: 9780312321192 352 pages



The Devil's Hunt
by PC Doherty
St Martins Press Copyright 1998
ISBN: 9780312180843
247 Pages

























   

No comments:

Post a Comment